Whip It

Yeah, so I just got a KitchenAid stand mixer for Mother's Day.  I've made three things.  Bread, cookies, and...

WHIPPED CREAM.

Oh my dear lord.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some Cool Whip, but I don't love what is actually in it.  Things like vegetable oils, corn syrup, and sorbitan monostearate (I don't even know what that is...).  A quick trip through the ever faithful Pinterest showed me I could make my own with far less chemicals and little effort.

Here's how you do it...
  • heavy whipping cream
  • powdered sugar (a friend told me she uses regular sugar and has never had a problem)
  • vanilla extract 
Yes, that's all you need.  I have used plain vanilla extract and I've used a combo flavoring I have (it's imitation! *gasp*) that is vanilla, nut, and butter.  I've been toying with the idea of doing a peppermint one... haven't gotten that brave yet.

I'm sure you can do this with a hand mixer as well, but having a stand mixer is so awesome!  Fair warning only vague measurements are being used.

1) Pour a cup or so (depends on how much whipped cream you need) into the mixer.  On my mixer I turned it up to 8.  Not super sonic fast, but fast.  Mix for a couple of minutes until you have soft-ish peaks and the cream kind of coats the whisk.

2) Add sugar.  I add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, but you can adjust to your liking.  You'll also add in a teaspoon or so of vanilla or whatever flavoring you choose.  Then turn the mixer back on and whip for a few more minutes until you notice that it is becoming more stiff.


M'mmmm.... whipped cream....


I really have nothing to put this on.  I just had about half a carton of whipping cream left in the fridge that was about to go bad.  I like to put a few spoonfuls in my morning coffee.  D-e-l-c-ious.

Now go forth and make the world a little sweeter!

4 comments

  1. Awesome Cool Whip substitute! As a kid, I preferred CW and I always remember my mom complaining that she preferred "the real stuff" (of course, we ate it when she made it, but I must've had a corn syrup addiction). As an adult, I only make the real stuff. Nom nom. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to eat CW right out of the dish. Just grab a spoon and dig in! :)

      Delete
  2. Homemade whipped cream is SO much yummier!

    ReplyDelete