Bling for the Precious


I am clearly not a professional photographer.  But several years ago, I just got tired of having unfocused, blown out photos.  I researched heavily, bought a camera that I wasn't satisfied with, returned it, and ended up buying the Nikon D40.  My Precious.  It wasn't the newest entry level DSLR available, but it was one that was highly recommended for beginners.

I still don't know what I am doing, honestly, and it's been 4 years since I bought the camera.  I read and read how to make the settings work for me and immediately forget it when I get the camera in my hands.  I have the 18-55mm kit lens and a 50-200mm zoom lens.  Both have been excellent lenses, but neither let in as much light as I would like.

I very much like taking photos with all natural, available light.  It's that fear of blown out photos and making people look like vampires.  I mean, we're already pretty pasty around here.  No need to enhance that awesomeness.  Sometimes you need extra light and that pop-up, built-in flash is harsh.  Evil, some would say.  Obviously, we are not millionaires and several months ago I found a solution to buying the external flash that I really wanted.  It's a Photojojo Pop-up Flash Bounce.  It's basically just a mirror that bounces that pop-up flash onto the ceiling or wall.  At just $37, it was a life saver.

But.... I still needed a lens that would open bigger to let in more light.

When my friend had her sweet bundle of joy in January, I snapped a few photos with her camera (a Nikon D90) and non-zoom 50mm lens.  I loved it immediately.  I really second guessed buying the less professional camera and wished I'd got one more similar to hers, but that's a different story.  So she and I were discussing lenses (because we do this A LOT) and after more research and reading, I elected to purchase a 35mm lens.


I went back and forth trying to decide if I wanted to order through Amazon or directly from Nikon.  I really wanted that lens, but I wasn't willing to pay the $21-50 shipping charge for one-day shipping so I bit the bullet and went with the free shipping that Nikon offered.  I ordered on Wednesday afternoon.  On Thursday afternoon the UPS man knocked on my door!  Best free shipping I've ever used.  Apparently Nikon has a warehouse in Louisville, which is only a few hours from me!  Yay!  New lens!


6 comments

  1. That's so awesome! Great customer service AND a great new lens!

    I bought a Nikon D3500 and I love it. But yeah, I definitely need to do something about the flash. I'm going to try out that pop up thing that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For inside photos on a budget, that flash bounce do-dad is the best thing ever. It's genius.

      Delete
  2. It's just so gosh darn sharp...I love the new bling.

    And ya know...we do discuss lenses an awful lot...haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I'm really working on settings and I took all of these in full manual mode! The only thing I did was resize them to be more web friendly.

      Delete
  3. I love that first photo, so much.

    I have been pining for a new lens, badly.
    I want a couple actually. I want one that has the small range and the big range all in one so I don't have to switch all the time on outings. AND a micro lens, badly and a wide lens lol
    *stomp* Camera fairy I need you.
    Anyway...lol Congrats on your new lens!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a macro lens like fat kids want cake. I love to take super close ups of things.

      Delete