A Vacation Story: {Energy Lake}

I wanted to stay in the state of Kentucky this year.  At first I was eyeing the eastern part of the state, but ultimately I decided on Land Between the Lakes.  I had never been and The Husband hadn't been since he was younger.  It's only 2-ish hours from where we live.  I looked over the map of LBL and decided to pick a spot at Energy Lake campground because of it's central location.

According to the reservation website, check-in time isn't until 4:30pm, which I think is a little late.  However we arrived about 2:30pm and didn't have a problem checking in.  In fact, the attendants were so friendly!  Very accommodating and pleasant.  When we were checking out, they asked us to stay on a few more days.  The ice, firewood, and other items were not overpriced.  We only had to buy one package of wood for the three nights we were there.

There are four sections to the Energy Lake campground.  We stayed in Area C.

The site itself was big enough for our large tent and the kid's smaller tent.  The picnic table was concrete which I liked because it was much sturdier than others we've seen, but impossible to move.  Which left a very small area for chairs around the campfire.

We could see the water from our site.  Much fishing was done.  Not many fish were actually caught.  Most of the sites are within spitting distance of the water.

It was pretty quiet for most of the time.  I think I might have heard one boat the whole time.  The campground offer canoe and kayak rental, but for $10 per hour that was not happening.  Especially when we would have needed two of them.

We arrived on a Saturday so most other campers left the next day.  It was fairly quiet except for the occasional screams of our three year old.  I never realized just how LOUD she is until we were in a quiet situation.  We will definitely go back.  Probably stay in the same section, but in a different site.  Probably without the kids.  As much as I love a good family get away, I was so exhausted when we got home on Tuesday afternoon that I barely remember doing anything once we got here.

Next up:  The 1850's Homeplace that I wanted to move right into and begin my pioneer life, the Nature Station, and a great little throwback eatery.

7 comments

  1. As great as this post is (and it is; it makes me want to go camping, your tease for the 1850's joint has me weak in the knees. Can't wait!! And I'd totally virtually pioneer with you. :-) That's not at all creepy, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not creepy! I was thinking of just opening a commune. :) I wrote out that post today and I REALLY wanted to go ahead and post it. I'm totally in love with that place!

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh! I am so jealous!!
    I want to go!
    What a great camping area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I picked this campground! I found some brochures for a couple of the others and they were quadruple the size. This one was nice, quiet, and cozy.

      Delete
  3. Well, it sure looked purty enough... I don't think I've ever seen a lovelier campsite! Berg was hacking down trees at Wanee

    ReplyDelete
  4. It never let's me correct a comment!

    I was saying, haha, he had to machete trees and palms. Oh...the hateful palms!

    And when I was little, we'd go to the Smokies, without all these newfangled anti-Bear smart gadgets they have now. We'd be out in the woods...sitting ducks, haha!

    I'd love to check this place out someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The campground was great. Honestly. I'd love to go again. I just know better than to leave even things I would never have thought animals would want out in the open. And by in the open I mean anywhere that is not inside a sealed plastic tub.

      Delete