Currently :: July 26th


Thinking: No more telling ourselves that we will go visit my family next vacation. We will actually do it next year.

Listening: Cicadas. I guess they are in one of their cycles, but they are everywhere in the evenings and LOUD!!!

Reading:  I am desperately trying to catch up on my reading. According to GoodReads, I am four books behind schedule on my reading challenge. Ack. I started and finished Fablehaven by Brandon Mull this week. It was a decent fantasy book, but the brother, Seth, is a punk. Last week I won a giveaway of a signed copy of the book What Lies in the Darkness by K. L. Cottrell. I've only just begun reading it.

Watching:  I'm doing a lot of sitting in my car watching my son at soccer practice. I tried to get out and sit on the bleachers. There are dive bombing red wasps and little gnats that BITE! I looked like some crazy person flailing my arms around every few minutes. Now I totally envy cows with swishy tails.

Eating: Dang it... I forgot to write a post about that chicken!

Weather: Pretty hot, humid. This hot then rainy then hot weather has really taken a toll on our tomatoes. They are splitting and rotting. We are able to salvage some as long as we pick them as soon as they begin to turn orange and then let them ripen on a window sill. I made a couple of pints of black bean salsa on Friday afternoon. I haven't tried it yet though.

Doing: Thursday afternoon we found out that one of my nieces committed suicide. I have never been close to any of my five half brothers. They all lived in Florida while I grew up here in Kentucky. I only met my niece, Kiana, once. We hadn't been down there since 2006. It doesn't seem like it has been nine years. My dad, who lived down there for many years before moving back to KY, is heartbroken. He left early Friday to drive straight down there. I've been doing a lot of crying then feeling guilty for being so sad and crying. I barely knew her. I'm crying because I never had the chance. I'm crying because I'm a mother. I'm crying because it still hurts. It is hard to find words.

No comments