Taking Flight

Nikon d40 | f/5.6 | ISO 400 | SOOC

We have these zinnias that I planted in the Spring growing by our back door.  I had no idea what butterfly attractors they would be!  I have counted 8 butterflies fluttering around them at one time.  I can't wait to plant more varieties.

For the most part, it has been different species of swallowtails, mostly the Spicebush and Pipevine.  This morning I found a Monarch.  I ran back in the house to grab the camera and crossed my fingers that he wouldn't fly away before I could return.  He didn't and I was grateful.

I snapped several photos, but this one was my favorite.  I had intended to catch him with his wings spread, but he lifted off instead.  I think this is my favorite because it symbolizes so much going on in my life right now.   It has become time for me to let go of some things.  To take off and leave that flower behind.

No comments