ACHOO! *sniff* *cough* *wheeze*

We have been doggy sitting my in-laws three dogs for a few days.  My father-in-law had to have surgery to remove a spot of cancer from one of his lungs last week.  Not to worry, the docs say that it was found early, fully removed, and no chemo/radiation!  Dodged a bullet there.

Luckily they live only a hop, skip, and a jump from us.  Really it's only across the church next door's back yard and over a road.  We've been walking back and forth to let the dogs out to do their business, eat, drink, and be merry.  On Friday, I brought the schnauzer over to our house to spend a little time socializing. All was well.

On Sunday we were expecting a bad ice/snow storm.  News reports were urging everyone to have back up heat and supplies because it was nearly certain that we would lose power due to ice on the lines and fallen trees.  The National Weather Service released a briefing that upped our snow/sleet total to 7-10".  Nearly an unheard of number for this part of Kentucky.  We decided that it would be best to pack up the dogs, their crates, food, etc. and bring them all to our house.  We didn't want to have to trudge through snow and ice to do all this IF we did lose power.  Which the news outlets were saying was a near certain probability.

Like I said, they have three dogs.  A schnauzer, a pug, and a German shepard.

Within a few hours, I had developed a scratchy throat with cough.  By the end of the night, it felt like I had a wad of hairy mucus stuck in the back of my throat and our son began coughing as well.

That's when it hit me.  I remember feeling like this before.  I had thought it was just seasonal allergies.

*light bulb*

It was our dog.  And in this case, it was the pug and German shepard.  I was fine with the schnauzer, who are hypoallergenic dogs, but as soon as we introduced the other two dogs into the house, the itchy, scratchy throat began.

We kept them overnight.  We didn't receive nearly the snowfall or ice that was expected so we didn't lose power.  Monday afternoon after the plow trucks and sunshine had done it's thing, my husband packed the dogs, their crates, food, etc. all back up and took them back to their rightful home.

A few hours later, I was fine.

It's taken me 35 years to realize that I'm allergic to dogs.

1 comment