Imbolc


Imbolc is a celebration of the coming Spring. We are halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. Almost there! For the Northern hemisphere, this is celebrated on February 1st/2nd.


We have had a mild Winter here to say the least, but I am still very much looking forward to more sunny skies and green leaves. This also means I can start planning out a garden. Last year was not a good garden year. Many farmers seemed to have issues, but our little garden produced very little beyond the zinnia blooms. I had saved tons of seeds from our previous year's peppers, but none of them sprouted.

I'm looking to change it up a little this year and plant more in containers. Our family doesn't necessarily need a large garden, but we do like some fresh veggies. We were swimming in jalapeno peppers two years ago. I now know I do not need 6 pepper plants!

Anywho.......

To celebrate the coming of Spring, I'm making* thinking about some thyme lemon cookies! They feel Spring-like to me and bring a little brightness to the cloudy Winter.

THYME-LEMON COOKIES

  • 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter 
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar 
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 2 teaspoons dry thyme leaves 
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel. 
  1. Combine butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar; beat until thoroughly blended. 
  2. Beat in eggs until smooth. 
  3. Add flour, baking powder, thyme, and lemon peel; mix well. 
  4. Put remaining 1/4 cup sugar into a small bowl. Shape into 1 Tbsp-size balls (chill for an hour for easier handling); drop balls into sugar & roll to coat. 
  5. Place balls 1 inch apart on ungreased 12x15" sheet. Bake at 375 degrees 12 to 15 minutes. 

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

*I was all gung-ho ready to make these and only then realized, I don't have any eggs. I knew I forgot something at the store this morning.

No comments