Currently {september fourth}

this weeks themes:
loving, craving, demanding, questioning, worrying

a) I am loving that we are T-minus 17 days until Autumn!  It's muh favorite.  It's that magical three months until Winter kicks in.  It's glorious.

b) Craving more time with nature.  My calf muscles still hate me, but I really want to get back out there.  It was just so beautiful and I live here y'all!

c) I have come to the point that demanding the kids do their chores is the norm.  I made them their own pretty little chore charts.  Talked and explained each day to them.  They have like four things each day.  Clean the litter box, feed/water cats, empty or load dishwasher.  That's it and they can't even get those done without being asked.  I know some teenagers who are about to be totes pissed because they are going to lose all connection to the outside world.

d) We are questioning marching band.  Right off the top there is a fee.  That is fine.  I understand that uniforms need to be cleaned, instruments need to be stored/cleaned/fixed, etc.  However, I had no idea there would be demands for handmade, individually wrapped desserts once a month for a fundraising lunch sale (pork loin sandwich, chips, drink, that homemade dessert = $5) or that I would be expected to provide cases of water, individually wrapped sandwiches and Little Debbie cakes every Saturday before competitions.  In addition, it costs $5 a person to enter said competitions.  I am tapped out.  As my friend, Cam, would say... I'm 100% white girl done.  I can't even.

With that said...

e) I've been doing my fair share of worrying about the crisis in Iraq/Syria/Middle East.  I have a hard time reconciling my every day stresses that, in comparison, are hardly worth a second glance.  There are people who live every single day in a war zone.  Walking to the grocery store with rockets flying overhead.  And here I am sitting in my air conditioned house complaining that my internet isn't fast enough or that my kids picked the expensive elective in school.  When I should be grateful that they are allowed to attend school at all.  *sigh*  I've been doing a lot of knitting.  It's my meditation. I'm still on the verge of a full blown, make me stay at home in my pajamas for weeks, anxiety attack.  I have to take these thoughts, these feelings, and tuck them away.  Not forgotten, but not on the surface.

Watching:  Nope.  See explanation for "Reading"...

Reading:  ... ... Still reading Book of Life. *facepalm*  I usually read before bed, but lately the Little has been laying down in bed with me until she falls asleep.  Trying to read with a toddler rooting in the bed next to you, asking you every five minutes if you are reading a bedtime story, is not productive to good book reading time.  So yeah...

next weeks themes:
falling, wearing, making, smiling, learning

Currently link up is hosted by Harvesting Kale and OT & ET.

8 comments

  1. The past two days...I can't even. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That situation my friend has write a blog post written all over it! Then he can look back and he one be able to "can't even" either! ;)

      Delete
    2. Wow... Gee, thanks for that, autocorrect. Haha!

      Delete
    3. Ok, for the second time...misguided clicks took me to another post. Only, I didn't realize it had happened. I thought you'd written a new post when I came to see my comment, if you'd commented back. It was from 2010, y'all had been to the circus. I read it...all When the hell did she go to the circus!? Wednesday? But, I talked to her on Thurs and she never mentioned any circus! Then, I clicked to comment and saw my old comment on the post! Fear and Loathing in Blogland tonight...haha. I gotta get outta here...

      Delete
    4. Yes, I have a love/hate relationship with that LinkWithin widget. It seems to never mention posts that are even closely related to the post!!

      Delete
  2. Totally with you on the world wide anxiety thing and trying to manage that without grinding to a halt. Everything out there is hideous and scary and heart-breaking at the moment. I need to learn to knit.
    Although, also, that post of yours of the amazing places was a good lesson in how the earth sustains. It doesn't make it alright but maybe it gives a little perspective.
    And another thing... activities where you pay a fee and then are expected to provide a continuous outlay of money and time and effort and stress...not do-able here. Just can't even, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The situation in the Middle East has me worried too. It's so much more serious than a lot of people realize and the complacency really scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on the Middle East/Syria shiznit. Totes McGee, white lady...totes McGee. But I, too, keep mum about it and try to just keep it mentally present. (Hence my "Currently" post not sayin' a word.) I have a hard time wrapping my head around it, and what it must be like for families to co-exist amongst such insanity. :-\ Bummer.

    (And I feel horrible about your band experience! We only did one huge ass fundraiser [a good ol' fashioned bottle drive] but the only thing we paid for was the 4-day band camp for food and lodging. Everything else was the school's funding...er...taxes.)

    ReplyDelete