Shredded Beef Tacos

Print it here!

This recipe comes from My Kitchen Addiction.  We've heard such good things about the Chipotle Mexican Grill, but the closest one to us is an hour away.  When I found this recipe I knew I was going to have to give it a try.

Here's what I used:

  • 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil
  • appx. 2 lbs boneless chuck roast
  • 1 tsp mild chili seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • a pinch of sage
  • 1 cup of beef bouillon
  • 1 tbls tomato paste
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (forgot to mince it! Oops!)
  • 1 tbls onion soup mix
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • flour tortillas
  • For toppings: monterrey jack cheese, lettuce, sour cream, etc., etc.
Some of the ingredients have been adapted from those in the original recipe.  

And here's how I cooked it:

2
Add olive oil to a skillet and heat it over medium high heat.  Or in my case slightly below medium high.

Mix the dry spices (chili seasoning, paprika, sage) --MKA recipe calls for cumin, not sage, but I was out-- and rub it on the roast.  The original recipe says make sure to rub spice on all sides, but I ran out of spices so I just made sure to coat the top and bottom well.  
1 3
Sear the beef on all sides then remove from skillet to slow cooker (or stock pot), though I would suggest using the slow cooker.

4
Leave the skillet on the heat, add beef bouillon to remove all the bits of burned on goodness from the bottom of the skillet.  Add the tomato paste and the minced (remember I forgot to do the mincing...) chipotle --which I found in the ethnic food section at Wal-Mart-- and whisk it all together.  Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and let it thicken up.

5
Dice up that onion (again... I forgot to get an onion so I used some onion soup mix...), mince up that garlic and put on them on the roast.  Pour the sauce over the roast, cover and cook for 6-8 hours.

6 7
Since I used a stock pot instead of a slow cooker, mine wasn't as tender as I would have liked.  After shredding, I added in some of the sauce from the stock pot.  Add beef to tortillas, join them with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
8 9

These were a huge hit in our house.  Surprisingly even the kids were impressed!  I think because I forgot to mince that pepper, it made the roast less spicy.  It still had the flavor, but not a lot of heat.  This was so easy to make and so yummy, we will definitely be making them again!

No comments