Fresh Garlic & Basil Salsa


At the very last minute, I decided to throw together a tiny little garden this year. Imagine my horror when, this past weekend, I discovered that all, but one, of my tomato plants had hornworms. Gross nasty things that eat non-stop and destroy everything in their path. I salvaged what tomatoes I could and let them ripen on my kitchen counter. I won't get to have as much fresh salsa or spaghetti sauce as I hoped for this year, but I'll still try again next year. For now here is a fairly quick little recipe that I use with my tomatoes, jalapenos, and basil fresh from the garden.

What You Need

6 - 8 roma tomatoes, quartered 
4 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed (unless you want it HOT)
2 teaspoons of dried onion OR 1/2 fresh onion, chopped
1/2 - 1 cup fresh basil
4 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice

How to Make It

Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor.


You'll want to use the pulse option about 8-10 times or it will be too liquid-y. I like to pulse 3-4 times and then stir to distribute ingredients more evenly before pulsing 3-4 times again. 

Time for a taste test. Salsa recipes are so good because you can easily adjust it to your tastes. I am a lover of basil and garlic so you don't have to add as much of either as I did. If you want a more traditional type salsa, substitute cilantro for the basil. 

If you need/want to add more salt or cumin or anything, I would suggest folding it into the salsa instead of using the food processor or your salsa will turn into something that looks like tomato soup.

My batch made enough to fill up one pint jar that I put in the fridge for a couple of days so the flavors can really mix together. But don't leave it in there too long, fresh salsa is usually good for about a week in the fridge in an airtight container. I had enough left over to put in a bowl and enjoy immediately!

No comments