Southern Cabbage Recipe


I love to eat cabbage. It is so fresh and hearty. We don't make it too often because well, it stinks! Usually I save it to eat around St. Patrick's Day with my beloved corned beef. I did try those cabbage steaks everyone is always raving about, but eww, no. I'll stick with this nice, tried and true southern recipe that my mom used to make. Thank you very much.

I need to preface this recipe by saying that all the ingredient amounts are a guesstimate because we all know that recipes are really just suggestions, right? So grab some onions and a head of cabbage out of your garden, or do like I did and beg some off of your husband's boss who has a farm with a garden and conveniently lives down the road. Farm fresh and local!

What You Need

12 oz package bacon (thick cut), or a pound if you feel froggy
1 cup onion, diced
1 head of cabbage (mine was about 4 pounds)
3/4 cup chicken broth (or as needed)
Salt and black pepper, to taste

How to Make It

Slice the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Chop up onion and cabbage; set aside.

In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, cook the bacon until it's fully cooked but not crispy. Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain; set aside. Go back to bacon, sneak a piece because you need to test it. For scientific purposes, of course.



Leave the bacon drippings in the pot because... duh, bacon. Add the onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until tender and lightly browned; stir often.


Add the cabbage to the pot, go ahead and fill it all the way up because you will end up with half the cabbage you put in there. Cabbage likes to shrink. Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chicken broth. Cover the pot; reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.


Stir cabbage and add more broth if needed; cook for about 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the cabbage is tender.

Add the bacon that you haven't been sneaking little bites of...


Stir to heat bacon and serve!


I made this for my husband to take to work, but I saved some for my own dinner. I think you can eat this all by itself, but he would never not eat meat with a meal. That tiny bit of bacon would not do for him. So you can eat this alone and be awesome like me or make this to go along with a nice roast or baked chicken.

No comments