Easter Weekend

The weekend turned out sunny and beautiful! We decided to let our youngest do her egg hunting on Saturday because the weatherman had forecast rain for Sunday. I had prestuffed the eggs on Friday night and she kept asking if we could hurry up and hide them!

Rowan's egg haul
Only after we were done did I realize that she's wearing the same shirt that she wore while hunting eggs last year! I showed her a photo and she thought it was funny. After egg hunting, we grilled some chicken, cooked some baked beans, and enjoyed some fresh baked bread.

Irish Soda Bread
Super simple recipe, super yummy bread. I can verify that it goes great with grilled chicken and baked beans.

Irish Soda Bread recipe

  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbls sugar
  • 2 cups buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift all dry ingredients together. Add buttermilk. Knead dough on floured surface for two minutes and create a rounded loaf. Put in a well buttered round pie dish, score top in an X pattern, and bake for 35-40 minutes.

*I used my stand mixer with dough hook. I sifted all the dry ingredients right into the mixer bowl then added buttermilk one cup at a time with the mixer set on lowest setting. I let it mix for two minutes and then dumped it out onto a floured board. (I totally typed out "floored board" instead of floured! Glad I did a quick proofread!) It was a little sticky still so I just gave it a dusting of flour and folded it a couple of times before placing in my dish. I also used butter flavored Crisco instead of butter in the dish.

I've made a couple of loaves and this is, by far, my favorite bread recipe. It's simple and easy.


No comments