Pork Tenderloin with Rosemary and Garlic

I hadn't intended to do a recipe/food post about this meal.  Honestly, I don't have much time to think about anything right now.  Busy, busy, busy around here.  I barely managed a photo and it's a bad photo too.  I know a good food blogger takes excellent images of their dishes, but I didn't.  I'll take the bad grade and be happy because this roast tastes so good!

In an effort to curtail the constant eating out on game nights,  we've started trying to find recipes that are quick and easy.  Usually that means a frozen pizza, but we were all getting tired of those.  A couple of months ago, I picked up a Crock-Pot recipe book from the book fair at school.  I hadn't made anything from it yet, but a crock-pot meal was just what I was looking for.

I didn't follow the recipe to the "T", but it was so very, very good y'all.  I couldn't NOT post about it.

Scrumptious tenderloin goodness
Here's how I did it:

-1 boneless pork tenderloin weighing a little over 4 lbs because the husband did the shopping (see original recipe below)
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-4 tablespoons olive oil
-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
-2 tablespoons dried rosemary
-A lemon of lemon juice, because what do you call that?  It isn't a jar, it's a lemon.
-1 can of chicken broth

I combined 4 tablespoons (give or take a half a tablespoon) with the garlic and rosemary.  Because I used dried rosemary, I let the combination sit on my counter for about 15 minutes so they could mingle and get to know one another.

While the previous ingredients were enjoying cocktail hour, I poked a few holes with a fork on the top and bottom of the tenderloin.  I was feeling angry.  Then I took the lemon juice and squirted a bit on both sides followed by a dash or two of salt and pepper.

I poured about 3/4 of the can of chicken broth into the bottom of the Crock-Pot, then added the tenderloin to the pot.  I poured the mixture of rosemary, garlic, and olive oil to the top of the roast and spread it out to cover the majority of the tenderloin.  Which was uncomfortably curled into my pot because the husband bought a too big tenderloin!!

I put on the lid and pushed that button over to LOW for 10 hrs.  Recipes always give an option for HIGH and I don't know why.  Who does that?!?  No one.  No one should ever put their slow cooker on the HIGH option.  It really shouldn't exist.  Just go ahead and use your trusty Sharpie and black out that word.

It took both my husband and myself to remove it to the cutting board without it just completely falling apart in the pot.  I let the tenderloin rest for 10-15 minutes before just using a fork to pull off pieces.  And that's it!  So simple!  If you scroll down, I have included the original recipe and you will see that I took extreme liberties with how I cooked this.  I can't imagine how good it would be if I had seared it as I was supposed to have done.  It was simply the best roast we have ever eaten.

I guess I should note that we also had mashed potatoes and rolls too, but I'm sure we could have just made a meal of the roast by itself!  If you try out this recipe, I'd love to hear how it turns out for you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's the original recipe:

BONELESS PORK ROAST WITH GARLIC

1 boneless pork rib roast (2-2.5 pounds), rinsed and patted dry
Salt and black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 lemon, cut into 1/8-1/4 inch slices
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock

Unroll pork roast and season with salt and pepper.  Combine 2 tablespoons oil, garlic and rosemary in small bowl.  Rub over pork.

Roll and tie pork snugly with twine.  Tuck lemon slices under twine and into ends of roast.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat until hot.  Sear pork on all sides until just browned.  Transfer to Crock-Pot slow cooker.

Return skillet to heat.  Add white wine and stock, stirring with wooden spoon to loosen any caramelized bits.  Pour over pork.  Cover; cook on LOW 8 to 9 hours or on HIGH 3.5 to 4 hours.

Transfer roast to cutting board.  Allow to rest for 10 minutes before removing twine and slicing.  Adjust seasonings, if desired.  To serve, pour pan juices over sliced pork.

Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments