Making Good

I've made good on my word to myself to put more effort into my life.  In doing so I haven't been as involved in the internet these past few days (weeks!), but I'm working on trying to fit it all in to a day.

Check these out:


BOOYA!  I'm proud of those puppies**... err.. booties!  I made a couple of pairs of these and some cute little slippers too.

I was so very excited to get them listed online.  Then I got a terrifying letter in the mail from the Kentucky Department of Revenue (KDoR). 

Back story:  If you sell anything in the state of KY, online or in person, you must have a KY Sales and Use Tax number.  When selling online, I don't have to charge tax to everyone, just those who live in KY.  I've had my Sales and Use Tax number for a few years.  I've sold a few things here and there, but never enough to really even file taxes on.

Every month the KDoR would send me a form to fill out and return that listed my profits and what not.  You fill it out, write a check (if you owe tax), and mail it back.  Even if you don't have any sales, you must file out the paperwork and file.  I did that every month for a little over a year.  Because I filled in more paperwork with zeroes on it than I care to admit, the KDoR sent me a letter letting me know that they were going to start sending me the forms on a yearly basis instead of monthly.  Hallelujah!  I was really getting tired of filling in all those little zeroes.

Fast forward to last June when I got my paperwork to fill out and return.  Oops!  I forgot to file.  I called the KDoR.  The forgiving woman on the other end of the phone told me it was no problem.  That they could just send me a new form, I fill it out, I return it.  *brushes off hands*  Done.  So I did just that.  I even filled out all the little do-dads to change the name of my business and corrected THEIR ERROR on my address.

*tick*  *tock*

*tick* *tock*

Until last week, I have heard NOTHING from the Kentucky Department of Revenue.    Now I opened up my letter last week thinking it was a letter along the lines of "we finally processed your name change".  Except no, it was a bill.

A BILL FOR $622.37!!!

Urm.... not only no, but HELL NAH!  Of course, I mowed down everything in my path to get to the phone to call them.  Of course, I got a guy who I could literally hear his eyes roll every time I tried to speak.  He would not let me finish a sentence without interrupting me or audibly sighing in the phone.  I was so frustrated.  Every single time I opened my mouth to explain anything to Eye Roll Guy, he would interrupt me and tell me that I hadn't paid my taxes.  I could not make him understand that I didn't pay any taxes because I HADN'T SOLD ANYTHING to pay taxes on!  He even had the balls to ask me if I'd sold anything "under the table".  Gah!!!  I wanted to punch him in the face.

Now it all boils down to this... He terminated my business as of 2010 so I wouldn't be libel for the "unpaid" taxes in 2011.  (Unpaid because I didn't OWE THEM.)  But in doing that, I now have no Sales and Use Tax number and have to go through the process of reapplying.

*loud, audible sigh of my own*

I can't seem to win.

**DISCLAIMER:  Booties are not made of actual puppies.  

No comments