Oh Hai There

The past couple of weeks have been a bit of a blur.  I mean we having really been what I would consider busy, it's just blown right on past us!  Oops!  My own mother gave me a kick in the ass and said, "You know Earth Hour was like a month ago.  When are you going to blog again?"  Muh bad.

I guess we should start with Spring Break.  It was the first week of April for my kids.  We normally just hang out around the house during this time because the temps are usually cool this time of year.  Since we were having unseasonably warmer weather, we decided to go camping!  Probably the worst idea ever.

Every time we try to take a trip it turns into some National Lampoon extravaganza.  I swear I think I'm going to catch cameramen in the bushes.  This trip was no exception.  First off, we drive a 2008 Kia Spectra5.  There is a definite art to strategically placing all the necessities needed for camping into this vehicle.  Being the first week of April, the campground wasn't officially opened for the season yet so we could camp for free, but at a price.  No water, no electric, no bath house.  There are "pit" toilets available, which are basically holes in the ground with a little building around them and a toilet over the hole.  We've camped "primitive" before, but it was NOTHING like this adventure.

Not open for the season meant anybody could fish, camp, etc.  First trip to the toilet should have been a sign.  No toilet paper, luckily I had remembered to take my own roll.  That wasn't the worst part though.  There was POOP on the seat.  Just a little, but enough that I quickly learned it takes 12 squares of TP to cover that toilet seat and then I still hovered over it.  A couple of days later, more POOP in a different location, and someone let their dog PEE in the floor.  *eyeroll*  Who takes the damn dog to the bathroom with them??

It's been super warm and beautiful, but the first night we camped turned out to be the coldest night in about two months.  It got down to the mid-30's.  We were in a tent.  Brrrrr!  Next morning meant an emergency trip to the store to purchase blankets that we didn't actually need because I have a gazillion here at the house.  BUT the hubs gets bonus points because he found blankets that were not only inexpensive, but also made in the USA and made from recycled polyester.  Score!!

This is the first time we've camped out of season.  One of the many drawbacks we found was the amount of people fishing.  During the season, there is a daily fee to enter the campground and fish.  There wasn't any regulation to the amount of people who were allowed to enter.  People, people, people... everywhere along the river.  On the second night, we were kept up until at least 2am by a group of loud, obnoxious, clearly intoxicated men who were only two campsites down from us.  They were throwing beer bottles, laughing, yelling, and to my horror.... RAPPING.  White guys + beer = PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T PRETEND TO BE EMINEM.  I was moments away from making a total ass of myself when they got in their equally as loud and obnoxious trucks and drove away.

Then... to beat it all.... my flip flop gave me a blister!  What the hell flip flop??  I wear these things all the time.  Even in the Winter.  I was so mad at them.  I couldn't have been happier to pack up and go home.  With all the complaints and irritations, we did have a couple of nice neighbor campers.  It was also Rowan's first camping trip and she was great!  The tent is one huge covered playpen for her.  At least that was something successful!





No comments