A Little Spring in my Step

Yesterday was the first day of Spring and what a glorious day it was here! The weather was beautiful, but uncharacteristically HOT. In a spur of the moment decision, I decided there was no way I was going to spend the first day of Spring indoors. It was like the birds we're calling me out for spending too much time inside while the weather has been begging for outside activity.

I was a little too ambitious in my decision. I called up my Mom, told her I wasn't taking no for an answer, and convinced her to come with me. I've been to this particular trail before, but it was the year before last since I'd been. Now my Mom is in her early 60's, isn't a big hiker (ok, she's NOT a hiker at all!), and had surgery 20+ years ago that compromised the integrity of a hip. No, this isn't going to be a post about her falling and breaking a hip, though it might be simultaneously funny and scary. It's a story about how a post-baby, out of shape Mom and her "senior" Mom hiked into the wilderness and almost didn't come out!

I remembered this trail as being relatively short and not very strenuous. I used this information to convince my Mom that she wouldn't have a problem hiking it with me. I picked her up, headed to the store to grab some bottles of water and ice for the cooler, granola bars and snacks for the break we'd take at the end of the trail, and top off the gas tank. And away we went!


I wrapped myself like a mummy with my Moby and got the baby all tucked in.  I grabbed a drawstring bag, filled it with granola bars, water, a sippy cup, and Nutter Butters, slung the camera over my shoulder and began the journey.  I really need to find/get a wrap/carrier that puts the baby on my back.  The Moby is great for short periods of time, but for this extended excursion it was probably not the best choice.  My neck and shoulder area is aching today!


One of the highlights of this trail are the rocks.  Huge, giant, monstrous boulders.  Islands of rock in the forest.  More often than not you will find trees growing in or on them.


Some rocks look like turtles.


Some rocks are gnome homes.


Some are slowing running away.


And some rocks just love you.


These were growing everywhere we looked.  Mom said she thought they looked like trillium.  I had no idea so... to the Google mobile! If, and that's a BIG if, I have the correct species of trillium then this is a Relict Trillium.  It's also on the endangered list.  BUT in all my looking I couldn't find it listed as a plant of Kentucky.  I've emailed the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.



All the flora is beginning to grow and it's still mostly browns, but everywhere you look there are signs of Spring.


At the end of the trail there is a large waterfall with a small stream that flows into the lake.  A beautiful area and perfect for the break that we needed.  Especially since I thought the trail was about a half mile long one way and it turns out that it is actually 2 miles long!



The water is so clear and cool.  Well that's not entirely true... the water was cold!  That sure didn't stop the baby from trying to dive right in!  I had to hold on to the back of her shirt to keep her from running away!


This is what made the hike worth the time and effort.  I've heard there is much more to see on some of the side trails, but I've never ventured off the most beaten path.

At the end of the day, my first day of Spring was pretty awesome.  How was yours?

No comments