Hooked On...

It's another Friday so that means another blog party over at Hooked on Houses! What do you mean, you don't know about the party?! Head on over to see what everyone is hooked on this week.

This week I'm hooked on cooking for less. Less is more, ya know! I'd heard on GMA about Clara over on YouTube and her Great Depression cooking shows. There is also a blog.

We are a family of four with only one income so saving money at the grocery store is hard to do. Heck, you don't need a family of four to realize that going to the grocery takes a big chunk of your income. I had forgotten to take anything out of the freezer Wednesday for dinner so I looked up Clara on the internet for something I may be able to use for dinner. Viola! I found it.... the "Poorman's Meal"! Potatoes, hot dogs, an onion, and some spaghetti sauce (I think). I had all but the onion so I improvised.

  1. I peeled the potatoes. *Pay no attention to the fine China I am using....*


  2. I cubed the potatoes. If I'd had an onion this is where I would have diced the onion. I added the taters to the pan.


  3. I added some oil. Began cooking potatoes and *onions*. (Since I didn't have an onion handy, I tossed the potatoes in a bowl with a little seasoning salt, some garlic powder 'cause everything is better with garlic!, and a little fresh dill.)


  4. While the potatoes and onions were cooking, I cut up four hot dogs. I think this would be equally as good, if not better with some polska kielbasa, but since we are ballin' on a budget here... hot dogs work just fine.


  5. I waited until the potatoes where about half way done then I added the hot dogs and a few spoonfuls of spaghetti sauce. I think that's what she used in the video, but I think you could use salsa or alfredo sauce if you wanted to. I used the Wal-Mart brand "Italian Garden Combination" flavor of sauce.


  6. Then I just let it cook. I stirred frequently because I didn't want the potatoes to stick and I wanted them to get done evenly. I noticed in her video that Clara added a little water to the mix towards the end to "soften" up the potatoes so I did so as well and it helped keep the whole thing moist. Once all was done, I spooned some into bowls and.....


It was a hit!

Here's Clara in her own words...


Don't forget to go visit the blog party!! Have a great weekend!

No comments